Too little sleep can do a number on our minds and bodies. Beyond just leaving us feeling tired during the day, it can lead to increased stress, poor immune function, and even serious health conditions like heart disease. The CDC reported in an article in February 2016 that more than a third of U.S. adults aren’t getting enough sleep each night.
Barmy is dedicated to helping people reduce stress and live happier lives, and quality sleep is an invaluable part of that process. Here are some tips for how you can get a better night’s rest:
These tools can help you get the rest you need.
- If you haven’t purchased a new mattress in a while, it may be time to upgrade — pick the firmness level that’s right for your body.
- Some people respond well to white noise or soothing music before bed. Get a speaker to improve sound quality and save your phone’s battery.
- Weighted sleep masks block light and apply pressure to the relaxation points around your face
Perfecting Your Bedtime Routine
Train your brain to sleep.
- A consistent bedtime routine can make it significantly easier to fall and stay asleep.
- Try to dedicate at least 30 minutes before bed to your routine to build up positive sleep associations.
- Soothing activities such as drinking herbal tea or reading a book are great to include in your sleep routine.
Bad Habits to Break
These might be keeping you up.
- Blue light from screens inhibits melatonin production, so avoid using screens in the hour before you go to bed.
- Never work in bed — you’ll start to associate the space with being alert rather than at rest.
- Avoid caffeine, spicy food, and heavy meals late in the evening. If you’re caffeine-sensitive, it’s best to cut off intake in the early afternoon.
If none of these interventions help, it might be wise to talk with your doctor about participating in a sleep study. You may have an unaddressed sleep disorder that prevents you from resting properly. Getting a good night’s sleep can have a huge impact on your overall physical and mental health: We hope these tips help you get the shut-eye you’ve been hoping for.
Check out our shop to find the item that’s right for you!
Photo Credit: Unsplash